Bill Guard former Headteacher
News recently reached the school community of the passing of our former Headteacher, Bill Guard.
Bill began his teaching career at Chew Magna School in January 1950 and became deputy Head of Chew Valley School as it opened in 1958. Bill later served as Headteacher before his retirement, passing on the Headship to Ken Biggs in 1984. Bill gave so much time, energy and commitment to Chew Valley School. Ex-students speak very warmly of his firm but fair approach and his endless encouragement and advice. As a rural scientist Bill enthusiastically led the landscaping project of the school site leaving us with the most beautiful site, which we all so fortunate to enjoy today. Mr Guard was also a keen sailor and a founding member of the Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club, his passion for which led the school sailing team to a wonderful victory in the National Schools Championship in 1971.
A funding raising page for the RNLI has been opened in Bill’s memory and can be found at the following link: